Testing is a process consisting of all lifecycle activities, both static and dynamic, concerned with planning, preparation and evaluation of software products and related work products to determine that they satisfy specified requirements. Today’s world of technology is completely dominated by machines and their behaviour is controlled by the software powering it. But what exactly is Software Testing? It’s something that is pretty difficult to compress into a couple of short sentences. In this article, we’ll seek to look at some of the things that software testing is, and isn’t.
Software Testing- All You Need To Know
Software Testing can be stated as the process of verifying and validating that software or an application is completely bug-free, meets the technical requirements as guided by the design and development team and also meets the user requirements effectively and efficiently with handling all the exceptional and boundary cases. The process of software testing aims at not only finding faults in the existing software but also at finding measures to improve the software in terms of efficiency, accuracy, and usability. It mainly aims at measuring specification, functionality, and performance of a software application. Software testing involves examining and checking software through various testing processes. The basic objectives of these processes involve;
- Verifying the completeness of software in regards to functional or business requirements
- Identifying technical bugs and ensuring the software is glitch-free
- Assessing usability, performance, security, localization, compatibility, and installation
The tested software must pass each of these tests in order to be considered complete or fit for use.
Software testing can also be divided into two main steps:
- Verification (Are we building the product right?)- It refers to the set of tasks that ensure software correctly implements a specific function
- Validation (Are we building the right product?)- It refers to a different set of tasks that ensure the software that has been built is traceable to customer requirements
Principles of Software Testing
Testing software is exceptionally imaginative and an intellectual task for the testers to perform. It consists of some principles that play a significant role in a software tester while testing the project. The software testing principles are as under;
- It can help in detecting bugs- Testing software can help in revealing a few or some defects that may or may not be detected by the developers. Hence, it’s essential to devise test cases and find out as many defects as possible.
- Drives for early testing- The earlier you will begin to test your project or software the better you will find to utilize your existing time.
- Defect in clustering- At the time of testing, one can observe that the majority of defects or bugs have been reported are because of a small number of modules inside a software system.
- It is context-dependent- Various methods, procedures, and kinds of testing are there which defines the type and characteristics of the application.
- It follows the Pareto (80/20) rule- The rule states that 80% of errors come from 20% of program components.
Software Testing Approaches
There are three main testing approaches in software testing. They are;
1. White Box Testing
It is based on an application internal code structure. In white-box testing, an internal perspective of the system, as well as the programming skills are used to design the test case.
2. Black Box Testing
Black Box Testing is a software testing method in which testers evaluate the functionality of the software under test without looking at the internal code structure.
3. Grey Box Testing
The tester who works on this type of testing needs to have access to design documents. This helps to create better test cases in this process.
Thus, we can say that software testing is essential because software bugs could be expensive or even dangerous. They can potentially cause monetary and human loss, and history is full of such examples. At 99tests, we believe in presenting the perfect product for you. Our qualified team of testers has years of experience in software testing services and can make sure that the product is free from bugs.